Sunlight is the basis of our life. And its lack leads to diseases that are difficult to cure. Be sure to take care of the access of natural light to the house at the stage of its design and binding to the site. The aspect of lighting has a direct impact on the health of household members. But the issue of lighting can not be overdone – its excess also harms the human body.
Natural lights parameters
Sanitary norms stipulate that the time of continuous natural lights in a living space should be 1.5 – 2.5 hours a day. If the light is directly interrupted by direct rays through the shade of trees, for example, the specified time of exposure to sunlight increases by 30 minutes.
Reduction of natural light by no more than 30 minutes in one of the rooms is permissible if other rooms are lit following the standards. Do not be exposed to direct sunlight for more than 3 hours a day.
The recommended natural light parameters apply only to rooms for living. These are bedrooms, children’s rooms, and living rooms, as well as a study or library if there are long-term residents. For other premises, such as the kitchen, veranda, and other rooms, these standards do not apply.
For a room such as a winter garden, for example, the parameters of natural lighting may be different, depending on the needs of plants in sunlight.
Improving natural lighting
- Windows area of a house. The more windows, and the larger they are – the brighter the house.
- Arrangement of a veranda or bay window. It not only significantly improves the natural lighting of the house, but also acts as a decorative design element.
- Decorating the rooms in light colors. The light color of the interior reflects the sun and fills the whole room with sunlight. If you like dark colors, leave them for accessories.
- Mirror, glass, and glossy surfaces of interior items. Glass and mirrors in residential buildings are the best traps of sunlight. A glass table or shelves, a glossy furniture surface, as well as a large mirror in the depth of the room will significantly increase the natural lighting. They act as a lure of the sun’s rays and spread them on the walls and ceiling.
- Multilevel lighting. Spotlights or sconces will allow you to turn off the electricity for as long as possible, extending the time of natural lighting in the room. For example, you can put a lamp by the bed for reading, make the lighting in the kitchen above the work surface, install a floor lamp near the cabinet.
- A minimum of items in the room. A large amount of items, which do not always intelligently fill your rooms, usually prevents the spread of natural light.
- Regular dust removal from surfaces. Wipe the dust more often so that the light is better reflected from the surfaces. The most important task is to clean the windows. Because dirty glass is the main obstacle in the way of direct sunlight.
- Installation of dormer windows in the roof.
Picture Credit: Unsplash