Each of us regularly erases and changes bed linen. However, not many people think about changing bedding. Meanwhile, pillows and blankets daily accumulate a lot of harmful and dangerous bacteria that adversely affect human health. Therefore, experts recommend regularly clean and air, and periodically change these products. Let’s see how often it is necessary to change pillows and blankets.
Why you need to change pillows and blankets
Bedding quickly absorbs dirt, dust, fat, dead skin cells. Blankets and blankets absorb sweat, pillows collect hair. As a result, a favorable environment for the propagation of dangerous bacteria is formed, dust mites can appear. Experts found that up to ⅔ the weight of the pillow can be harmful microorganisms and various wastes.
These factors adversely affect human health, disturb sleep, worsen the skin condition and provoke acne, chronic headaches and muscle pain. They lead to the development of allergies, asthma and other diseases of the respiratory system. This is especially dangerous for young children. But adults, teenagers and even pets are not immune from such problems.
If you do not clean and change the pillow or blanket in time, you can say goodbye to a strong and comfortable sleep. In the process of exploitation, bedding wears out, lose shape and physical properties, become uncomfortable. As a result, you get a thin blanket, under which is a cold, or a cushioned pillow that no longer provides the right head support.
But a strong and comfortable sleep is a pledge of good mood, vivacity and high efficiency. Without proper rest at night, you will quickly get tired and overwork. There may be problems with the neck. Therefore, it is important to monitor the condition of the sleeping accessories and to update the products as they wear out.
How often to change blankets and pillows
General rules of hygiene require changing the blanket every five to ten years, a pillow is recommended to update every two to four years. The exact time depends on the material from which the items are made, on the quality of the product and the conditions of use. The change is due to the degree of wear.
Blankets also replace and depending on the time of year. In winter, warm, soft and fluffy down, wadded and woolen types are used. In the latter case, the most popular and practical are blankets from camel or sheep’s wool. In addition, synthetic blankets are suitable.
In summer, the products are replaced with silk, cotton or bamboo filler. It is a natural, body-friendly fabric that absorbs moisture, prevents sweating and overheats during sleep. And in the heat it is better to do without a blanket and use a sheet.
At the same time, cleaning the pillows or blankets will not prolong the service life, since most of the pests that live in fluff, wool or other natural filler can withstand a high temperature and remain in the products. In this case, the restoration and replacement of the filler or the purchase of new items will help.
How to understand that it’s time to change the pillow and blanket
Even if the replacement time has not yet come, the need to change bedding can tell health problems and other factors. You need a change if you feel pain in your back or neck during sleep if the blanket is thinning or not heating enough.
Replacement is needed if the filler is stuck in lumps, there are gaps in the linen of the blanket or rug. If the products remain unpleasant odor even after washing or airing.
To ensure that the sleeping accessories have served as long as possible and have retained the original properties, it is important to organize the right care. Before washing, ironing or drying, check the label on the product and follow the recommendations. Regardless of the type of material and filler, shake and ventilate products regularly.
Care of sleeping accessories
- Once a month, ventilate the sleeping accessories, but not under direct sunlight;
- It is recommended to clean and wash the pillow every three months. Use liquid gels for washing. By the way, today most modern pillows can be washed without any problems in the washing machine. For cleaning products, you can also use the steaming method;
- To wash the pillow in the washing machine as a whole, use special laundry bags. Dry the products in a vertical position, fixing on clothespins, in fresh air or in a room with good ventilation;
- Blankets are washed once or twice a year. The most unpretentious in the care are products made of silk, bamboo and cotton. Items can be washed in a washing machine in a delicate mode;
- Blankets are dried in fresh air or indoors with good ventilation, away from direct sunlight. The cloth must be decomposed and dried only in a straightened form;
- For storage of bedding use polyethylene or vacuum bags. Place objects inside, pull air from inside with a vacuum cleaner and close. Such tightness will ensure hygiene and preserve the properties of products. At the same time, pillows and blankets packed in such packages will take up less space;
- Keep pillows and blankets in a dark place. A suitable option would be a cabinet or bedside table with closed doors. In addition, the products can be removed into special boxes under the sofa or bed or at the head of the furniture;
- Once a year, it is recommended to give blankets and pillows to dry cleaning. Especially it concerns such natural fillers. Experts will clean and disinfect the material, if necessary, restore the sleeping accessories.
To ensure that pillows, blankets and blankets are not contaminated, be sure to use special covers, pillowcases and duvet covers. A suitable option would be cotton, cotton or silk. These are pleasant to the touch fabrics, which absorb moisture well, preserve cleanness and freshness for a long time, have an attractive appearance and hygiene.
But remember that bed linens, including pillowcases, sheets and duvet covers, too, need to be changed regularly. Experts advise changing products every seven days.
Bed linen for newborns is changed twice a week, for older children every week.
Picture Credit: ErikaWittlieb